FDA to Revoke Safety Status of Dozens of Processed Refined Carbohydrates in Push for Food Transparency
Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announced that the Food and Drug Administration will consider a petition by former agency Commissioner David Kessler to revoke the safety status of dozens of processed refined carbohydrates unless food companies can demonstrate they are safe and do not contribute to health issues or obesity.
In remarks broadcast on Sunday, Kennedy stated the FDA would act on Kessler’s August request to remove corn syrup and other sweeteners and starches from the list of ingredients classified as Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS). “We will act on David Kessler’s petition,” Kennedy said. “And the questions that he’s asking are questions that FDA should’ve been asking a long, long time ago.”
Kennedy explained that the GRAS classification, established by Congress in 1958, permits food companies to use ingredients without full government safety review because it allows them to verify safety without oversight. He emphasized his intention to close this loophole with White House approval. “There is no way for any American to know if a product is safe if it is ultraprocessed,” Kennedy added during the remarks.
The Consumer Brands Association, representing food companies, stated in a separate announcement that while the GRAS process enables innovation to meet consumer demand, the group stands ready to collaborate with HHS and FDA as they revise regulations to ensure ingredient safety and enhance transparency.
David Kessler, a pediatrician who served as FDA commissioner from 1990 to 1997, previously sought to regulate tobacco during his tenure—a campaign that ultimately failed but heightened industry scrutiny. He now advocates for similar action against large food companies. “We changed how this country views tobacco,” Kessler told the broadcast. “We need to change how this country views these ultraprocessed foods.”
Kennedy’s campaign targeting processed foods and artificial dyes has been a prominent focus of his administration. The Trump administration recently issued new dietary guidelines urging Americans to consume more protein and less sugar while avoiding highly processed foods. However, Kennedy clarified during the remarks that he would not call for additional government regulations. “I’m not saying we’re going to regulate ultraprocessed food,” he said. “Our job is to make sure everybody understands what they’re getting, to have an informed public.”